It has been proposed that Scotland’s low emission zones will only allow access to vehicles which meet minimum emission standards.
The proposed minimum criteria for vehicles to access a low emission zone is:
- Diesel vehicles – Euro 6/VI
- This generally applies to new vehicles registered from 2016
- Petrol vehicles – Euro 4/IV
- This generally applies to new vehicles registered from 2006
- Heavy-duty diesel vehicles– Euro 6 /VI
- including older retrofitted engines improved to operate as Euro 6/VI
To help you understand if your vehicle might be allowed entry to a low emission zone, we have prepared a basic online vehicle checker.
Please note that results provided can only give an indication and are not a guarantee or proof that your vehicle can enter. The best way to check is by consulting your log book or with your vehicle manufacturer.
We continue to work with a range of stakeholders to determine emissions standards for motorcycles and other powered two wheel vehicles. Additionally, we are currently working on a new tool which will enable you to enter your registration number in due course.
Register to be kept up-to-date with the latest information and resources for Scotland’s low emission zones.