The Scottish LEZ Exemption System Help Guide
This guide will help explain everything you need to know about the new Scottish LEZ Exemption System, including: what you need to apply, the different kinds of exemptions, and, solutions to some of the most common issues.
Check out our Video Guide to help you register your Blue Badge Exemption.
How to register an Account
What details we need from the Blue Badge holder:
- Date of Birth
- Email – if available
- Phone number
- Blue Badge number (Do not include spaces)
- Blue Badge expiry date
- Images of Front and Back of Blue Badge (we’ll ask for these when you enter your vehicle details later)
Be careful to type your email address correctly! Each Blue Badge can only be linked to one account and the account must be activated via email before use.
- Please be sure to check your spam/junk folders and make sure your setting allow emails from: email@example.com
- If you have registered your account under the wrong email address please contact LEZBlueBadge@transport.gov.scot for assistance
Entering your account details
- The account details registered should be for the person who holds the Blue Badge and be the same as displayed on the Blue Badge
- If you are applying on behalf of a Blue Badge holder, you should only enter their details when registering the account.
- The Blue Badge holder should decide which email address is used to register their account as this will be how we contact them regarding any changes to their account.
Changing your account details
- On your account, click ‘My details’ to display all your current details
- Click the change button under the details you wish to change
- If you are trying to change you Blue Badge details, please ‘+Add’ your new details and email us at LEZBlueBadge@transport.gov.scot to request the old details be deleted
To upload documents to a previously saved Exemption Application, please follow the below instructions. Please ensure you have two separate images (one of the front and one of the back) of your Blue Badge saved to your device. These files must be saved under two different names, e.g., “BB Front” and “BB Back”.
1. Click “My applications”
2. Find the exemption application you started (with “More info requested” next to it) and click the ‘…’ symbol
3. Click ‘Upload supporting documents’
4. Click ‘+Add document’ at the bottom of the page
5. Select the document the from the dropdown menu, then click ‘Browse’ and select the correct image of your Blue Badge then click ‘Add’
6. Repeat the previous step for the second image of your Blue Badge
7. Once both images are uploaded, click ‘Upload documents’ at the bottom of the page then ‘Proceed’
8. The Application confirmation page should now show to confirm your exemption has been registered.
Long Term Exemption
- Each Blue Badge holder can register one Long Term Exemption
- The Long Term Exemption can only be used for a vehicle registered to the Blue Badge holder’s home address
- The Long Term Exemption will last until your Blue Badge expires
- To change the vehicle using your Long term Exemption, please see the “Changing your Exemption vehicle” section below
Can't register for a Long Term Exemption?
- If when registering for a Long Term Exemption the system tells you “There is a limit on the number of permits allowed under this account. This permit cannot be issued at this time.” Then you may already have a Long Term Exemption on the account. You may only have one Long Term Exemption active at a time.
- To register your Long term Exemption to a different vehicle, please see the “Changing your Exemption vehicle” section below.
Can't register for a One-Day Exemption?
- If when registering for a One-Day Exemption the system tells you “There is a limit on the number of permits allowed under this account. This permit cannot be issued at this time.” Then you may already have two of these exemptions registered for that day.
- To apply you Long term Exemption to a different vehicle, please see the “Changing your Exemption vehicle” section below.
Changing your Exemption vehicle
- On your account, click ‘My exemptions’
- Find the Exemption you wish to change and click the green car/’vehicles’ button next to it
- Click the pencil/’amend’ button next to the current Registration Number
- Enter your new vehicle Registration Number and ‘Save’
If you have multiple non-compliant vehicles which you often travel in, we recommend using the Long-Term Exemption for the vehicle you use most often. You can use One-Day Exemptions for the other vehicles when you need them.
LEZs help to reduce air pollution by keeping the dirtiest most polluting vehicles out of our city centres to improve air quality and help the very young, the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions.
Blue Badge Number
- “Invalid Format”
- Ensure you have not included spaces or any special characters
- Individual Blue Badge Numbers should be 16 digits long
- Organisational Blue Badge Numbers should be 12 digits long
- “An account with this email address already exists”
- You can request a password reset by clicking “I’ve forgotten my password” on the login page
- “Incorrect format”
- Please ensure you have fully typed you email
- The email format should be ‘Email@DomainName.com’
- “There is a limit on the number of permits allowed under this account. This permit cannot be issued at this time.”
- You have already registered the maximum number of exemptions for your account (see above sections on ‘Registering Exemptions’).
- If you need to change the vehicle using one of your exemptions, please see the above sections on ‘Registering Exemptions’.